Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Children's Trunks: Kingsbury Auction

Some of you may know that I have been researching and working on developing my vision for children's trunks since last year. Earlier this year I finished my first two samples where I designed the surfaces of in collaboration with the 1st & 2nd grade students at the Kingsbury Day School in Oxford, MI. I asked the students in each class to make a a drawing based on a theme. For the 1st graders it was trees and for the 2nd graders it was fantasy/magic. I then incorporated each child's interpretation in the design of the trunk for the class -

The items will be auctioned on June 3rd to raise money for the school - here are some photos. The many subtle layers if color do not photograph here - I used a technique with wood stain and fabric dye to obtain the same effects that I do in my paintings where the lighting
and perspective will affect the what you see - an ever changing piece. The whole process was challenging and educational - now I am looking for a woodworker/carpenter to work with me to build more trunks that I can design...more information on that in another post.

I'll be adding better images of the Kingsbury trunks as I receive and will post an update after the auction -


1st grade

2nd grade

No comments: