Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Plexiglass Art: Mootzies Gallery

I am excited to be showing my plexiglass pieces as art at Mootzies Gallery in Owosso, MI. Up until now the pieces have mostly been seen as tableware and soon (Summer 2008) on Sweetriot tins. I have also sold them as beautiful clipboards - something to really bring a smile in the office.

From my statement on my plexi-art:
...central to the overall theme of my art is the constant flow of unanticipated images that fade in and out---the inherent beauty of change…

Challenging the viewers ideas of perspective and change is more obviously addressed in my works on plexiglass. A piece of art created with plexiglass changes so much that at times it does not even resemble itself from one perspective to another; passing from transparent to translucent to opaque. With light entering at every angle and backgrounds easily altered by where the work is placed, each piece is mesmerizing and the images seen are ethereal. These characteristics make them difficult to completely capture and duplicate with film. Like much of our experiences an aspect and perhaps a resemblance is captured while the complete essence is only inside of us. With these works I hope to highlight the idea of being present in the moments and the surprises that happen then which emphasizes the special-ness of first hand experiences.

Below are the four pieces I will be showing over the next three months at Mootzies. there are two images for each piece - one where more light is passing through than the other - really changes the work:
Untitled P1 view 1

Untitled P1 view 2

Untitled P2 view 1

Untitled P2 view 2

Untitled P3 view 1

Untitled P3 view 2

Untitled P4 view 1

Untitled P4 view 2

No comments: